Sunday, September 24, 2006

On the lighter side

Three days ago I paid for a haircut. It's the first haircut I've paid for in over ten years. I paid about sixty cents. I had just gotten back from a week-long staff retreat and hadn't shaved in two weeks. My hair was getting a bit long and I was at road thirty-six - the area of the camp that has electricity and a barber shop, which is a little open sided hut with music pumping out of it and about ten electrical clippers inside. I suddenly had the urge to cut it, which usually doesn't mean anything. I get that urge all the time, but usually not right next to a barber shop. I met some friends and stopped to chat, until I mentioned the hair cutting plan and they told me that I should hurry since they would be shutting the power off at twelve thirty and it was about twelve-ten.
 
I didn't really have to say anything beyond greeting the guy who would soon be cutting my hair. I just entered the hut and sat down. In seconds he had a sheet draped around me and had already started cutting. It wasn't until I saw the first big chunk of hair fall into my lap that it occurred to me that it might not have been the best idea to start getting my hair cut with the power going out in fifteen minutes or so.
 
For about ten minutes he worked solely on the left side of my head. I wavered between thinking that it would be pretty funny to walk around for a whole day with half of my head shaved and thinking that I couldn't possibly stand the extra attention that it would bring. I already get stared at enough.
 
The electricity never ended up going out, and when I put on my glasses and looked in the mirror, I was amused to see that I'd gotten the exact same haircut as Jim Carrey had in Dumb and Dumber. I'm sticking with it. I paid good money for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home